We had a wonderful Thanksgiving week with my parents in town and with Phil and Avery having extra time off from work and school. We took turns getting sick, Claire with bronchitis then Mimi with a stomach bug and Avery with a fever, but we all still managed to have a great week with a lot of fun.
The kids loved having Grandpa and Mimi here to play games and read books! This Thanksgiving themed activity table cloth was a big hit (thanks, walmart!), even though it didn't quite make it until turkey day.
Thanksgiving day started with the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, a tradition that I think I enjoy as much or more than the kids. I don't let them watch a lot of tv, and I even may have told them on occasion that too much tv will turn their brains to mush. It was super funny then when Avery said, after an hour or so of the parade, "Turn it off! My eyes are burning! I think that means my brain is starting to turn to mush!!" We did have to leave the dog show on afterwards, but only watched bits and pieces, enough to cheer on the other Bailey dogs! The rest of the day was spent outside!
The weather was beautiful, high 60s and low 70s all week, and Thanksgiving was no exception. Bailey, of course, wanted to be near all the action. She's officially old (slow) enough that we don't have to worry about her taking off anymore. She can be trusted to stick close the house when we're outside, and she barks non stop to remind us if we forget to let her out, too. Avery's gotten really good at riding his bike lately and set records that day for how many times he could go around the cul de sac without stopping...I think we're up to 8! I really love having our house on a cul de sac. The kids can play so much more than they've been able to before without me worrying about cars flying by. The neighbors all know us by now and are super great about keeping an eye out for them and going slow when turning down our street.
Phil fried the turkey again this year, and it turned out great! (He also made one at work, which I hear was just as yummy!) It makes cooking for the holidays a lot easier for me, that's for sure. Mom helped me to make desserts (derby pie and pumpkin crunch) and sides (including the favorite strawberry pretzel salad- sorry, Shelley and Dan!). My table was lacking a centerpiece, but with it only being the four of us adults (and mom was too sick to eat) plus the kids at the table, it was a little more low key and less fancy. I missed Shelley and Dan being here, so that I could put her decorating skills to use! (They were celebrating at their place in Norfolk with Dan's parents.) Our meal did turn out to be pretty eventful- Avery got stuck on his turkey and then coughed it back up onto his plate (seconds, anyone??), Claire spilt her apple juice all over (why did I pick white dining chair cushions?!), and Dad ended up leaving between dinner and dessert to get sick Mom some 7-up from the gas station. We have plenty to be thankful for, even if it's not a flawless Thanksgiving dinner. ;)
My biggest blessings... :) We survived dinner! Claire has since been asking to eat in the dining room again...maybe next Thanksgiving or when she's 18. ;)
Avery was the wishbone winner! He wouldn't share his wish, so maybe it'll come true! We sure missed being around the rest of our family, but we were thankful to have Phil home, as well as my mom and dad, and to be able to celebrate together. We are most thankful for the gift of God's own son, and we are so excited to now enter into the Christmas season, counting down to Jesus' birthday!

No comments:
Post a Comment