Today was beautiful outside, so we decided to take a family (dogs included) trip to nearby Alafia Park for some hiking. Since Avery enjoyed hiking so much in Gatlinburg, we were excited to take him again and to get out and get some fresh air. The dogs were SUPER excited as well (their days at the dog park have been few and far between these days).
We were going to take it easy our first time out and stick to the "easy loop," a 1 mile fairly flat trail that circled around the park.
We weren't brave enough to try the advanced trails. Maybe next time.
We soon discovered, however, that the trails were very poorly marked, and instead of sticking to our easy loop, we veered off onto another 3 mile trail instead. Oh dear. Of course, Avery didn't mind. He had it easy. He just talked and talked and kicked his feet and had an all around great time while mom did all the work.
The puppies leading the way...I sure hope they know where they're going!
It really was beautiful. Nice and shady and full of all kinds of palm trees....very different from the woods at home.
We stumbled upon this little fella in his web in the middle of the trail near the beginning of the walk. By "little" I mean huge and scary and disgusting and most certainly poisonous. It's a good thing I noticed him before Phil walked right into him...not sure I could carry both my men out of the woods by myself. We managed to press on, but I was very diligent at spider spotting for the remainder of the afternoon.
Avery hiding from said spider...
(actually, he loves playing with the brim of his ballcap, and this is usually how he ends up until we adjust the cap for him... again and again)
There he is!
I promise there was a lovely deer in this picture (the first I've seen in Florida)...until Sam scared her, and she dashed away right as my camera flashed. If you look closely maybe you can see her tail...sigh.
The Alafia River...I must admit, I'm not impressed. Granted, it does get much bigger than this in places, but this looks like what we'd call a creek back home. The dogs did enjoy splashing around (and nearly pulling Phil in!).
Two wet dogs...but with all our extra trail detours they had plenty of time to dry off before heading home.
We did manage to find our way back to our car before the sun set, thankfully, and everyone had a great time. I think we may have to head back there sometime soon...although hopefully with a better map next time. : )

No comments:
Post a Comment