Friday, November 19, 2010

FYI

I found a great website last night while googling "esophageal atresia" for the umpteenth time. I don't know why I hadn't found this one before, but it has an answer for every question you might have about the condition. It covers everything from diagnosis, to specifics on the surgery, to repair and even follow up. It sounds as if it was written by doctors for doctors, so it can be a little on the heavy side, but if you're interested in learning more, too :

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/935858-overview

In this month of Thanksgiving and in light of reading this article, I am realizing over and over just how blessed and fortunate we are for our beautiful baby boy and his health. Sure we spent almost 2 months in the hospital already; he has dilations every 3 weeks; he has a g-tube that leaks constantly; he has an unsightly wire coming out of his nose...but he is here; he is eating solid foods and growing more and more everyday; he has no other medical problems; he is happy (most of the time!). From the website, 50% of babies born with esophageal atresia have other medical complications, most very serious, some fatal; 21% of babies diagnosed with esophageal atresia after birth do not survive. That one is particularly hard to say/acknowledge.

Avery is truly our miracle baby and a gift from God. I pray every day for his continued good health and healing. Our doctors reassure us that, although he will require check-ups for this condition for the rest of his life, he and his esophagus will grow; he will no longer need regular dilations; and this chapter of our life will be history. We can only hope and pray and trust that God is in control.

August, 2010

I have so many other things to be thankful for this month and all year long (husband, family, friends...), but more on those another time. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment