I was fortunate to have my birthday fall on the long Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend, and we made the most of it by heading to New Bern that Saturday. New Bern is one of my favorite short trips from here in Goldsboro, and it took me no time at all to plan out our whole day.
How beautiful is this place?!? Small town southern charm with a beautiful waterfront. Phil and I really miss living near the water, and coming here is like a breath of fresh air. (These pictures are courtesy of the internet, and Phil promises to take pictures for my 34th birthday next year. sigh.)
The kids were really excited to play at the Playdate there (literally 5 minutes from downtown and really nice!), and Phil and I were excited for some time to eat and explore by ourselves. Our first stop was Baker's Kitchen. This place is the epitome of southern hospitality and serves up an awesome breakfast and lunch. They also have great coffee! I had cheese grits and fried okra with my eggs, and it was heavenly. We could have stayed there all day drinking coffee, but we only get 4 hours at Playdate, so it was off we go!
We had plenty of time to explore Middle and Craven Streets, perusing the used book store, stopping in the little boutiques, and grabbing apple cider and chocolate covered pretzels at Bear City Fudge Company. Phil was super sweet and didn't mind looking around at the girly stores with me and giving me his opinion as I tried on a few things. I found a few cute tops, and we each bought a book at the used book store. It was perfect.
After leaving downtown and taking a quick walk around a new antique store, we picked up the kids and took them to play at Kidsville Park. Although it was sunny, it was a little chilly so we didn't stay too long. We all then headed back downtown to Cow Cafe for dinner. The kids loved their mac and cheese and enjoyed playing in the play area inside. Phil and I split our sandwiches to be able to try more, and everything was yummy. Then we had some of their homemade ice cream for dessert. We all were worn out (and really full) after this, so it was time to head home. It was a great day!
I am so thankful for my sweet husband and crazy kids and this life I've been given. Here's to year 33!





No comments:
Post a Comment