This blog entry is inspired by another blog post I read today.
I can sooo relate. I haven't blogged much lately because I feel like we haven't done much worth sharing. It's just been everyday ho hum normal life lately, and mostly that's hard, tiring, and not caught on camera. Phil is gone for likely the rest of this month, due to the runway at Macdill being closed. He's also going to be gone most of March and April for instructor school. I'm exhausted just thinking about it. Don't get me wrong, I love my son like crazy, but he wears me out. Taking the almost 2 year old's temper tantrums, independence (yet still needing help with basically everything), and endless energy and adding to that morning sickness, "bionic" pregnancy fatigue (love that term!), and no where to drop him off when I need a break equals one stressed out mommy.
Don't get me wrong, we have plenty of cute sweet moments, too, they just get overshadowed at times by all the discipling I seem to have to do lately. The blog post I read struck a chord with me because I get down on myself at times for not doing enough or being a good enough mom, wife, etc. I am a stay-at-home mom, so I feel like I should at least excel in that area, not having a career to have to focus on, and so many times I fall short of my own expectations. When I give in and let him have another snack before dinner, when I let him watch Nemo so I can have a little bit of a break, when I let him eat Gerber Graduates meals instead of something home cooked because he loves them (who knows what's in those things!), when I draw a blank when it comes to age appropriate crafts and learning activities, when I "show emotion" when he's done what I've told him not to 10 times already even though the parenting book says not to...the list goes on.
I am so thankful that I am able to stay home with Avery (and soon baby #2, as well), and that Phil is able to provide so well for our family in that way. I just didn't count on "not working" as being so much work. I do believe that being a mom is the most rewarding job there is, but I am also convinced it's the hardest.
So, in response to Tiny Twig's blog: My house is far from spotless, and I put off doing bathrooms as long as possible. I try to cook most every night for my family, but my definition of "home cooked" is a lot more broad lately. We don't buy all organic (too expensive!). I don't plan crafts for my son, though it's on my list of things I want to do, but I do like to get down and play on the floor with him. I always have laundry in the laundry room (don't mind doing it, it just never seems to end). I wish I had more patience and more energy. My son wears mostly hand-me-downs and thrift store finds (but I look for all the expensive brands second-hand!). I hardly wear make-up or fix my hair when Phil's gone. I'd get a lot more done if I spent half as much time cleaning when Avery goes to sleep as I do on the computer. :/ So there's some honesty for today.
I especially like when the blogger says, "There is so much grace in motherhood and womanhood. There are so many ways to be and an equal number of ways not to be. All is grace. Hear me say, you ARE enough. You don't have to do it all."
Deep breath. I don't have to do it all.

Seriously- don't feel bad about crafts or any of the other stuff. Ellie makes huge messes with the crafts and stresses me out to no end. (That's why I had no advice on age appropriate ones for Avery- Gavin is just now trust worthy with crafts;) ). Just wish we were closer so you could throw Avery in with my pack and get a break! ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteLiz, I don't know how you did it being so sick with your pregnancies and multiple little ones running around! If we were closer, I'd come over for lessons. ;) I know, I have no room to complain compared to most!
DeleteOh, I'm right there with you! It's so easy to feel overwhelmed, especially during the "single parenting yet happily married" periods of military life. And potty training has threatened to be the end of me! Dog hair is taking over my floors and who knows what's lurking in my unscrubbed bathrooms. But it's so easy to get carried with my list of shortcomings, and lose sight of all the successes. Thanks for the excellent reminder to give myself a break!
ReplyDeleteI feel ya sister! I know you are leaving soon, and you probably don't want to leave him anywhere, but you should consider a few hours once a week or something. I have dropped Asher off at the place Tate goes to preschool because they have younger classes. Let me know if you are interested. It's in the area.
ReplyDelete