Sunday, December 18, 2016

North Carolina Christmas


Phil was only home a few days before we celebrated our North Carolina Christmas. Although our Advent candles had all been lit, and most of our Christmas stories had been read,  there were still several things we wanted to wait and do after he got home. The first was picking out the kids' Christmas ornaments at Hallmark. Of course, we had to stop for a quick pretzel snack and listen to Leonard Bearnstein's orchestra while we were at the mall. The kids were not quite so freaked out by the bears this year and sang along to many of the carols. It was good they were entertained because the pretzel line was crazy!



Our Hallmark trip provided further evidence of what we've noticed lately, Avery does not do well with making decisions when there are a lot of choices. What was supposed to be a sweet family bonding activity turned into multiple threats to just go home with nothing and an in store meltdown. Sigh. I helped Claire to find an ornament of Mickey and Minnie riding on a teacup ride to remind her of her first trip to Disney World this year. I was glad that Avery finally settled on a talking stormtrooper, because the real-life ones at Hollywood Studies were one of his favorite parts of Disney.

I like to get the kids some kind of matching pajamas for Christmas, and Target had some really cool ones that you could color yourself. The Elf delivered them ;) , and Avery's had dinosaurs, and Claire's had polar bears. They were a big hit! We wore them on our Christmas Eve.


I have to say that I was really proud of my two this holiday season as they continually reminded each other and anyone who would listen that Christmas is Jesus's birthday. That didn't make them any less excited about presents, however, but I'm glad to see that they are "getting it."  It also helped make things a little less bitter sweet this year when Avery came to discover the truth of Santa for himself. He has always been one to ask a million and one questions, and my vague responses and redirections no longer satisfied his curiosity. He still plays along for his sister and all of his friends, and while he was very disappointed, he is now excited to play Santa, too, sharing Jesus's love and kindness with others. He even told me he still wants to believe, which I reassured him that that was just fine for as long as he wants. 

We celebrated our Christmas on Saturday the 17th, and the kids were up bright and early. They were excited to "buy" gifts for each other this year and insisted on opening them first (after the stockings of course). Claire bought Avery Skylander cards, and Avery bought Claire like 5 different things from TJ Maxx (apparently, he had caught Phil in a moment of jet lag induced weakness). 

Claire's big gift was a Barbie Dreamhouse, which I snagged for an awesome deal on a mommy swap site. She was so excited! I have to admit that I'm pretty excited to play with this, too! All the accessories!



Avery's big gift was a Nintendo Wii. His first "electronic," as he calls it. We bought it used (ebay for the win!), and I had done a lot of research, only buying games that require lots of movement to play. We even have a rule that they are not allowed to sit while playing. :) I'm excited for our family to sneak in a little more exercise while we bond as a family at the same time. It has already become a great way to burn off some energy when it's too cold to play outside.

The kids had a few days to play with their new toys before heading up to Indiana/Kentucky to celebrate with family. We are so looking forward to seeing everyone!






No comments:

Post a Comment