The weather was horrible and yucky, but we couldn't have been more ready for Phil to get home. He was delayed by one day, but we tried not to be too upset since he was still earlier than we'd originally been told. I picked Avery up from school early, Claire missed dance, and we headed to base in the rain.
We were not allowed to bring umbrellas on the flight line (seriously, there went my good hair day), but they graciously allowed 9 of us to pile into an extended cab truck and catch a ride to meet the plane. sigh. The kids were excited (i.e. crazy and wound up), and I was tired and overwhelmed, and I almost just sent them out to meet the plane while I hightailed it in the other direction. My job of keeping them alive thus far was complete, and the torch was ready to be passed on to their dad. However, I was a little (or a lot) excited to see him, too, so I pressed on. Also, security forces apparently frowns upon unaccompanied children on the flight line. ;) Here we are smooshed in the truck. :)
Several planes landed at the same time so we weren't quite sure which was theirs until they started to unload. Phil was able to wave to us from the cockpit, but it was a while of waiting in the rain until he could leave the plane.
The kids were sooo excited!
Why wait for a hug when you can both pile on at once?!?
I did manage to steal a quick hug and kiss over the kids, too.
Reunited and it feels so good! Insert cheesy easy listening music here, but for real, I could officially breathe easier. This had been a really tough deployment on Avery especially, and I am so glad to have it done and over with before Christmas.
It was just after 2pm when we got home, so we tried to think of a few relaxing jet-lag approved things to do before an early bedtime for everyone. We watched a Christmas movie (while Phil napped on the couch) and made a quick gingerbread house while dinner finished up. Phil was a really good sport through it all.
I thought there was no way that I would be able to fall asleep at 7pm, but I surprised myself and slept straight through until the next morning. Apparently, I was a little sleep deprived as well. We are so happy to have our family all back together. Hope Phil is ready to dive right into all the Christmas celebrations!

No comments:
Post a Comment