Well, we are alive and well and getting settled into our new home in Pensacola (Pace, Fl, to be exact). AT&T was finally able to figure out our internet, so I'm finally able to say hello and reconnect with the 21st century...not that we haven't been keeping pretty busy otherwise. ;) I am happy to report that the last of the boxes are on the curb and that the house is totally livable (and mostly decorated). My parents were a huge help week 1 of moving in. Dad helped Phil paint and add chair rails to the kids' rooms (looks great!) and hang most of our pictures on the wall. My mom was a huge help in keeping Avery occupied so we could actually get things done, as well as helping move furniture, empty boxes, make curtains, etc. We hated to see them go but are thankful for all we were able to accomplish with their help.
The first difference I noticed when we got here (other than all the bugs outside, but that's a whole other post in itself... ) is how friendly everyone is. All our neighbors had introduced themselves within the first couple of days, and we still have people stopping by on walks from the other side of our neighborhood to say hello and welcome. Sooo different than Tampa. We'd been there almost 4 years and some neighbors still wouldn't even return a wave. We have moved north but become more southern at the same time, if that makes sense. It's not just our mostly military neighborhood that's friendly, everywhere we go (Lowes, grocery store, church) people smile and start conversations. Love it! I am already feeling like Phil may have to drag me out of here when our 3ish years are up.
I also feel more comfortable here, I think, because it reminds me of home. You see real trees, not palm trees everywhere you look. You have houses with big yards and ponds and fields and woods. We are still conveniently located near Targets (yes, plural), a big mall, and all the stores/restaurants we could want, but where we live is much more rural than Brandon was, and I like it. Downtown Pensacola is historic and has lots of cute shops and restaurants, a new baseball stadium, and a splash pad for Avery that we want to visit. I haven't even mentioned the beaches yet, but they're beautiful, and I hope we can visit when I'm not so pregnant and 20 degrees hotter than everyone else.
Avery is doing well with his "new house." He asked in the beginning to go to his friends' house back in Tampa quite a bit which made me want to cry (who new difficulty moving/saying goodbye started this early!). I told him we'd meet new friends here, and he asks me almost every day if he's going to meet/play with new friends today. We went to church last weekend, and he had a great time in the nursery with "new friends." I've also started a women's bible study once a week where kids come, too, and he enjoyed seeing lots of little faces there, as well. The neighbor kids, though early elementary age, have been great with him and invite him to play with them in the front yard, which makes him feel extra special. Big kids! There's practically no traffic on our road, which is great for getting out and playing with the other kids and not just keeping to the back yard. I've also taken the plunge and signed Avery up for a mother's day out program at the church we're going to. It's just once a week, starting in July, but goes from 9:30 to 1:30. I can't imagine leaving him/trusting others with him for that long of a time, but I know he'll love it, and I'll enjoy getting to go to OB appointments and the grocery and maybe even take a nap in my new "free time."
Phil is on his permissive leave right now (so if anyone asks, we're still "house hunting!"), and it's great to have him home while we put the finishing touches on the house and explore our new area. It will be an adjustment being at a naval base, but it's exciting, too. I have already met more navy and marine wives than air force here, and each group has a different set of lingo and military lifestyle than the others. We have a lot to learn!
Here are just a few pictures of what we're up to:
Our new house!
The view down our road...lots of room to play!
The last of the boxes- on the curb!
Avery loves playing at the local park.
Mimi makes a great playmate...and seat!
We still have our work cut out for us...sigh.
Our new base gives out car tags! It's the little things. :)
Well, almost.
More pics to come soon as we finish putting the house together!

No comments:
Post a Comment