Sunday, November 20, 2011

Busy Busy

Hi there, friends and family. We have been busy busy around here lately. First off, I decided to become an "educational consultant" (i.e. independent sales rep) for Discovery Toys. I had not planned on joining the company initially but was only looking to host a party. Phil's mom has a lot of these toys from when he and his siblings were younger, and Avery just loves them (and they are still in great shape!). After having a hard time finding a local sales rep and some thoughtful consideration and prayer, Phil and I decided I should go for it. The initial expense was very minimal, and worst case scenario, I have 10 or so toys for Avery to grow into and a table to use for future garage sales.

Although I don't consider myself much of a "sales person," these are some great educational toys (with a lifetime guarantee) that practically sell themselves when the kids (and their parents) start playing with them. I also enjoy meeting new people and helping/showing other parents how they can teach their children through play, while learning tips and tricks for my own playtime with Avery. So we'll see how it goes. I can say that I've already made back what I spent on my package of products to show, so the stress level has decreased dramatically. :) In case you haven't yet checked out their great products: www.discoverytoyslink.com/lindseystephens


Our next big news/source of continuous stress is our new(est) assignment. We have been waiting and waiting and waiting (since July) to find out where we'd be moving and what we'd be doing as early as this month. Because Avery is in a special medical program within the Air Force, we were denied our assignment to Columbus, MS (the med group there wanted us within an hour of a large hospital, and it was over 2 hours to Memphis or Birmingham). Then the Air Force, in it's infinite wisdom, decided to assign us to Del Rio, TX, which is quite literally on the Mexico border, and for some unknown reason, the med group there accepted Avery. The closest major hospital was over 3 hours away in San Antonio! Um...What?!?!


So naturally we appealed, and weeks later they agreed and decided they couldn't take us after all. Cue big sigh of relief. Back to the drawing board they went, and just last week we received something (on paper) that showed us headed to Pensacola, FL. Phil will (most likely) be instructing new naval pilots in the T-6 at Whiting Naval Air Station. We are very excited we are not being sent to the middle of nowhere, for all of our sakes, but especially Avery's (who's seeing 3 specialists on top of his regular pediatrician and may be starting feeding/swallow therapy next month). We don't know exactly when we are leaving Tampa. We thought at first we needed to leave by Jan. 1st- yikes! So we were checking out rental homes there, getting ours ready to be rented out, trying to figure out what to do about Christmas, etc. Now it looks like we won't need to be there until June...which gives us much more time to make the transition and allows me to set up my Christmas tree. :)

Pensacola Beach...not too shabby ;)

So, we are excited about this upcoming move and what the future holds for us. Looks like Avery will be a true Florida boy, at least for the first 5 or so years of his life. We will continue to head home to Louisville as much as we can to see loved ones and the change of seasons, as well as escape the heat and humidity. We're counting down until Christmas at home already!

And just because it wouldn't be a proper blog post without a picture of Avery:

Here he is "riding" on his Bailey dog (aka "Bebe"). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment