
So, yesterday, Avery had another dye study that went really well. That meant that he was able to get his g-tube and wire placed today. We have been waiting weeks for this g-tube because it will be used to dilate Avery's esophagus and hopefully heralds the near end of our hospital stay here at TGH and our return to "normalcy." This weekend will mark the one month anniversary of this hospital admission, not counting the couple of days home we had last week. Ugh.
They took him bright and early this morning, and he was the first of Dr. Paidas' surgeries for the day. He did just fine during the surgery, and was back to sleeping peacefully (thanks to morphine) when we got to see him in recovery. I was prepared to see the wire running from his nose and down his back, and I was prepared to see a tube coming from his stomach....I just wasn't prepared to see all the orangey-pink tape covering the wire and a tube quite so big. I know that we are far past just being concerned with aesthetics at this point, yet I can't help but wonder what I'm going to dress him in, how I'm going to avoid getting the tube pulled or stuck on something, and how many stares we're going to receive in public. So much for our return to "normalcy." The doctor says that this should only have to be in for a few months, until we can fully dilate the esophagus, and maybe after 3 weeks he can switch this tube out for one that sits flush with the skin. We will start dilating in 2 weeks. More counting down...
After the procedure, Avery was breathing quickly and was having some retractions (which went unnoticed until I pointed it out...maybe I should be getting paid for this...). They did a chest x-ray, which was normal, thank you, God. I had visions of chest tubes and ventilators all over again and nearly flipped out. They have moved us back over to our friends in the pedi icu just for closer observation (I feel much safer here anyway...see below.). It is sad that we know everyone here, and they know us. It is just as we left it last week, screaming kids and constant construction noise and all. I am so sick of this place I could scream, but it should only be a few more days...again another countdown.
I am also sick literally. I have a sore throat, runny nose, and a headache to boot. Awesome. It was only a matter of time, I suppose. Well, when we get home from the hospital for good we'll all be getting much more sleep and feel much better; at least that's my hope. Again, mom and dad have been a life send, splitting up the time with Avery at the hospital with Phil and I. I was afraid to leave him alone on the floor (outside the icu) at all...and for good reason it turned out, seeing as though they didn't realize until 3 days after we got there that his monitor wasn't even plugged into the wall..meaning that no one was monitoring the monitor. They only came to this conclusion when I asked them why no one ever responded to his alarms unless we called them about it (and even then they took their time). Oh dear... Of course, since I've complained to the doctors about it, they are moving much quicker. Yes, nursing friends, this hospital experience may very well be turning me into "that family member."
It looks as though Avery has completely recovered from the punctures, and now we are just focused on dilating once again. We continue to pray for healing for Avery and are grateful to all our wonderful friends and family that have been keeping him in their thoughts and prayers as well. Also, thank you to our hospital visitors who have helped us break up the time. : )
(Sorry for yet another poor quality picture...they're from my phone and not the camera.)

No comments:
Post a Comment