Thursday, August 26, 2010

Heading Home

The doctors decided that instead of just waiting around another whole week in the hospital to get our g-tube, we could spend the time at home instead. Whoo-hoo! No more runs back and forth to TGH, and the whole family can be together while taking care of the baby at the same time...also less risk of him catching some nasty hospital germs. Before we could leave, Mom and I had to listen to a loooonnngg inservice on how to work Avery's feeding pump and apnea monitor that we were headed home with. I had had very little sleep the night before, so hopefully they're like the ones we use at work, since I'm not sure how much I got out of it....
We are being admitted back into the hospital on Monday for yet another dye test, and Avery will hopefully get the g-tube placed Tuesday or Wednesday. I am excited to have him home for a few days but also nervous to not have the doctors and nurses nearby. I get to put some of my nursing skills to use, however basic: flushing his iv daily with Heparin, operating the feeding pump, hooking up his monitor at night, and giving him his medicine through his feeding tube. Maybe God had other ideas about why I should go to nursing school...


This is our setup with the pump...we just wheel it around wherever we take him and play defense trying to keep the dogs from getting caught up in the tubing. They are so happy to have him home, by the way. They've been giving him constant kisses...the poor boy is likely covered in slobber.


Enjoying some cuddle time with Grandpa. Yes, his onsie is on backwards...we had been taking our 3 month picture, and this was the only thing white that fits him right now. Those pics to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment