Saturday, November 26, 2016

Thanksgiving

 For Thanksgiving, we made the short drive up to Shelley and Dan's in Norfolk in a caravan with Mom and Dad and Bailey dog also in tow. Everyone did great!


We were greeted at the door by my sister wearing a baby girl and a three year old boy lounging on the couch. Avery asked, "Is this my new cousin!?" :) Turns out,  they were being super sweet and watching a fellow resident friend of Shelley's kids while she had to work that day (she later joined us for dinner, too). They had gotten there at 5:30 am, and Shelley was cooking a feast and babysitting like a pro. Dan was relieved to see back-up, but I was ready to hand my kids off to him. ;)
It turned out though, that the kids (and their new 3 year old friend, Trace) did a great job playing together and keeping each company. We adults were able to talk and catch up and lend a hand here and there in the kitchen...though she didn't need us for much. I also took a turn cuddling baby Reece...until she spit up on me. Baby fever cured before it began! hehe.

(Avery took this picture!) Everything was delicious, and the table looked beautiful. We only forgot to get a picture of the turkey!


I never like stuffing very much, but I loved Shelley's! I might have to get that recipe, though I'm sure it took quite a bit more effort than what I'm normally used to. ;)

She even made her own cranberry sauce! Yum!

The kids did a great job at the kid table, and Bailey knew right where to lay for the best chance of crumbs.


 We made a trip out to the mall in downtown Norfolk the next day for the kids and I to see Moana and everyone else to see Fantastic Beasts. I think we liked our movie more than they did theirs. It was really good! The kids got special tickets for opening weekend.


Afterwards, the kids loved playing in the Looney Tunes themed play area while the big people snuck in a little black Friday shopping. Grandpa didn't mind keeping an eye on these two crazies for us, and they got to burn off some extra energy.

 We tried to get a few good family pictures on their front porch before leaving on Saturday morning, and we were mostly unsuccessful (Avery's eyes always closed...Claire in shock and awe??)...but here are the outtakes. 



 The only way I was able to get the kids in the van to go home was to promise them that we'd decorate our tree when we got there. Dad had helped me to drag it down from the attic before Thanksgiving, and it was all ready to go. We made it back in plenty of time to drink hot chocolate and decorate. Now everything's ready for Phil to get home! Thank you so much, Dan and Shelley, for a wonderful Thanksgiving! We were so happy to spend it with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment