It's official, we have a little ballerina on our hands. She has been obsessed with ballerinas here lately. Angelina Ballerina (her favorite Netflix show) is partially to blame. She likes dresses that look like "ballerina dresses," wearing her dress up tutu over anything and everything, and practicing twirling here and there around the house. Needless to say, she was super excited when I told her I had signed her up for "real" ballet classes. Her friend, Meredith, has been taking dance for a while, and Claire just barely slid into the 3 and 4 year old class to join her...likely the youngest in the class.
Fueling up before our first day...
When the big moment finally arrived (she'd been asking about it for weeks!), she got scared and nervous and didn't want to leave mom to follow the other little girls back into the classroom. I tried walking her back and peeling her off (unsuccessfully), so the teacher (Ms. Tammy) let me sit with her just inside the door so she could watch for a bit. The girls were adorable to watch from my front row seat, but I was feeling slightly embarrassed and frustrated that Claire refused to leave my side. Just as I was beginning to tally up the wasted money I'd spent on the outfit, shoes, registration fee, etc., Claire inched her way over next to Meredith and joined in. Whew. She made it just in time for the cool down stretching (haha), but she also got to do front rolls down the mat and walk a little balance beam (surprisingly well... her talent already surpasses that of her mother!). She then sat on the wall in line and waited for her "good job" sticker, just like she'd been out there all along. I think mom deserved a good job sticker (or a drink and some dark chocolate), just sayin'. ;)
She practiced her new moves in her new shoes on the porch after we got home. At least she looks the part! :)
(a toe point with her characteristic duck face)
She's already told me several times that next class she will "walk in with the girls, hold hands, and get in a circle next to Meredith" while I wait with the mommies. I hope so! She's also asking every day if it's time to go back yet- a good sign!?





No comments:
Post a Comment