Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Avery's First Day of Kindergarten



 Avery had a great first day of school! His school does a staggered first day for kindergarteners this week, so he was only there with 3 other kids from his class today, and they will all go together on Friday. I took him to school for the first day, and he held my hand as we walked in. We met another little boy from his class while waiting for the bell outside, and Avery asked if we could go stand by him - a great sign! He had told me he'd only give me one kiss and one hug and then go and play when I dropped him off, but he asked for just a few more hugs once he was in the classroom. After that he let me leave just fine. 

It was a looooong day without him, and Claire and I eagerly awaited the school bus in the afternoon (his first time!). He hopped right off when it pulled up, and I pestered him with lots of questions. He was worried that I would be mad that he left his lunch box in his classroom (he was too nervous to ask to get out of line to get it). In fact, he didn't remember to bring anything home but his empty backpack, but I was just glad he made it back safe and sound and seemed to have had a good day. He said it was a lot of fun, but he was worn out, and he voluntarily laid on the couch for a bit after getting in the door. Claire wanted to love on him and told him she missed him, but he wasn't much in the mood for hugs. He did oblige her and give her just a little one before the usual fighting ensued. ;) 

He talked about all the big kids at school, which he calls "graders" (get it? first graders, second graders, etc.). He said the bus was as noisy as "lions and tigers," but he didn't talk, and he liked looking out the window. He wants to ride the bus to and from now everyday. He also said he kept his backpack on while on the bus to make room in case someone wanted to sit next to him, but no one did. He's the cutest thing...poor guy. I reminded him that some kids have assigned seats right now. He liked playing tag outside with friends, although he may have "pushed a little bit" when he tagged them but "not as bad as the other kids." He asked another kid to help tie his shoe for him while outside, but the kid didn't want to...probably better to ask an adult, I told him. He didn't like that he didn't get to do a craft on the first day, but he seems to like his teacher and is making friends with the other kids. I just find myself praying for him nonstop...for him to have fun, for the other kids to be nice to him and for him to make friends, for him to remember what we've taught him and not pick up the bad things from the other kids.... Sigh. I am thankful that he liked it and grateful for a little more time to get things done around the house, however, this letting go thing is harder than it looks. They are growing up!


No comments:

Post a Comment