Sunday, March 20, 2011

LOST: monkey binkie...Reward



So we lost Avery's monkey binkie at Target tonight....somewhere between the cliff bars and the orange slices we were picking out for Phil's care package, he jumped ship (or got tossed). :( Avery didn't seem to notice (he was happily crinkling and mushing the cookie package...sorry, hubby), but I was the one trying to fight back tears while frantically retracing our steps down each aisle.

Sure we have another monkey, unopened and just like it, (and also a duck!) but Avery and this binkie have been through so much together. It was with him for every dilation and was how the nurses remembered and recognized him. I couldn't be with Avery in the operating room, but his monkey was there by his side each time they put him to sleep and again when he would wake up. As the rest of us took shifts, the monkey binkie never left his side for over four weeks in the hospital. It was a constant comforter, and now it's gone.

Boy, am I sentimental, but although the new monkey will look fresher and cleaner, he won't be the same. They won't share the same history. I will open and wash monkey binkie #2 tomorrow, but you can bet I'll swing back by target at least one more time to see if anyone's found our lost friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment