Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Dilation #2


Avery had his second dilation today, and everything went well. Thankfully, this time there was not a 3 hour delay...although we still had to get there at 5:30 am. ugh. The procedure lasted less than an hour. Dr. Paidas was able to dilate up to a 30 (french), up from 24 last time. Avery also got his traditional g-tube replaced with a "button" that looks like this:





This is not his belly, but you get the idea. Before our next dilation in three weeks, Dr. Paidas wants to do another swallow/dye study. He feels that Avery will only need the 3rd dilation and should get his g-tube and wire taken out the same day as the procedure. Whoo hoo! That means we could be all done with this before the holidays!

We did have a little drama today. We brought Avery home from the hospital, got him out of his car seat, and sat him in bed. When changing him out of his hospital gown, I discovered the new button completely deflated and out of his belly all together. I had a mild panic attack before we realized that the doctor had told me I could take this tube in and out on my own (like I would want to..?!?) and therefore should have no problem putting it back in. So we decided against the ER, read the care guide we were given, and I just pushed it through the hole already in his belly and reinflated the balloon with sterile water. It is just fine now, although we still aren't sure how it got deflated and came out in the first place.

So far, so good with the feedings. He gets fussy but not near as bad as the last dilation (when it took him a full week before he was eating normally again). I'm hoping that the swelling doesn't get worse and that this recovery will just be much easier than the last.

Thank you for keeping him in your thoughts and prayers. I think we may be seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment