Thursday, December 12, 2013

Christmas Fun...What We've Been Up To

We've been busy around here, like everyone else, I'm sure. The holiday rush is in full swing, but we're trying to not say yes to too many extras and keep the stress level as low as possible.  Christmas is magical, for the kids especially, and I want to keep it that way for them. Speaking of magic.... our elf arrived at the beginning of the month! Avery named him Joseph, and he really enjoys looking for him each morning. Yes, he's the hispanic version (haha), in case you were wondering...it was the only kind left on sale after Christmas last year. Shhhh. We just say he has his Florida tan. :)


I was still not 100% sold on the elf idea until I came across this blog and her ideas for him. ( Christian Elf Note from Santa ) She makes the elf less about mischief and naughty list threats and more about being a daily reminder of the true meaning of Christmas, celebrating the birth of our Savior, and how we can show His love to others during the holiday season. We haven't gotten super creative yet, but some of our activities have included baking cookies and sharing with others, buying breakfast for someone in need, and going through our toys we don't play with to give to those who don't have as much. Some mornings, Phil or I have to race out of bed because we've forgotten to move it the night before. Thankfully, our kids aren't on pinterest and don't have too high expectations yet for Joseph the Elf.


Since Avery is now old enough to ask questions about Santa and understands much more of what goes on around him, I've found myself really struggling with what to tell him and how to keep the focus on Jesus without taking away from the magic and traditions of Santa Claus (many of which I have such fond memories of growing up and wanted to pass down). This blog post by Matt Walsh really made me think: http://themattwalshblog.com/2013/12/09/who-needs-santa-when-youve-got-jesus/. Ultimately, Phil and I decided that we will keep some Santa in our celebrations as long as we don't let him steal the show. I am determined that for every mention of Santa in our home, there's many more times where we are speaking about the birth of Jesus.





The kids writing their letters to Santa...



Bailey makes a good footstool while watching The Grinch. :)


 Mom -of -the -year decided that Home Alone would be a fun Christmas movie to watch....oh dear. Needless to say, Avery spent most of the movie like this, curled up close to Dad with the pillow over his face, and he is now worried about burglars coming to our house. I'm thinking we'll put this one up for a few years. :/


Claire enjoyed the movie night...probably because she didn't pay much attention to the movie but loved all the playing and snuggling on the couch. Phil and I laughed and laughed. Maybe we'll just watch Home Alone by ourselves next year.




Avery loves Christmas cookie baking with Dad!




Today was Avery's Christmas program at Woodbine Preschool. He looked so handsome in his outfit!



Claire was excited to watch big brother and really wanted to run up on stage to be with him. I was barely able to restrain her with the promise of snacks and a purse full of toys.


He was a little nervous and didn't sing any of the first song. However, he eventually warmed up and sang to all the rest. His favorite is called "Jesus' Love is Very Wonderful," and he sang that one pretty excitedly. I was so proud of him! I even teared up when they started. Hard to believe he's so big already. 






Sorry for the blurry pics...this was while Claire was fighting to get down. Phil got everything on video though!


 .... to be continued. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment