Last weekend, Phil and I had our first babysitter experience with both kids and did a date night to the Air Force Ball. Although an annual event at every base, this is the first year we've gone and the first time Phil has worn his mess dress since graduation from pilot training. It was nice to have an occasion to get dressed up, but after all the hassle and expense of finding a dress and having it altered, getting my hair done, updating Phil's uniform with his rank and medals, and squaring away a sitter...I'm glad it only comes around once a year. ;)
We found our sitter on Sittercity, and she came with great recommendations and a background check. She showed up right away and dressed in scrubs...ready to work. She was in her 30's, which I liked (not too young) but also had a few tattoos. My mommy over protectiveness started to kick in, but even I have a tattoo, so I tried not to judge. ;) It is not a relaxing experience getting ready with 2 little ones and in the process of bending over to pick up the baby, I ripped a hole along the seam of my dress. UGH. Luckily it wasn't too noticeable, but it did put a big damper in the beginning of my night. Thankfully, Phil's uniform still fit perfectly (he hadn't even tried it on), and he looked even more handsome than ever. (Which I def love about him, but my post baby body kind of resents at the same time...sigh.)
Our good friends, Carey and Matt, graciously offered to drive so with both kids and the dog crying and our apologies to the sitter we finally made it out the door. After a quick stop back by Carey's (Matt had forgotten to grab their tickets), we were on our way.
We got to the Naval Aviation Museum right on time and fought through the crowd to find seats. We started off a little bummed that we didn't get to sit with our friends, but we ended up at a great table. Our tablemates had already been hitting up the bar quite a bit and were great entertainment throughout what could have been a pretty dull presentation. Turns out, several of them had kids in the EFMP program like Avery, so we also took some time comparing doctors and hospitals and insurance battles.
Carey and I :)
Told you he looked great! ;) All of those medals mean he's been deployed a lot. I think I deserve a couple for my dress, too!
The back of my hair looked a lot better than the front, so I made Phil take a picture to share.
Despite a rocky beginning, we ended up having a good night out. We closed down the Naval Museum with other friends from the squadron and even made an appearance at the after party. I texted a few times to check on the kids, and the babysitter later informed me that Claire had cried and fussed for most of the first 3 to 4 hours (yikes!) but was doing well near the end...so pretty sure we scared away this sitter. However, the kids were both sleeping when we got home, and this "old married couple" survived a late night out. :)


You look fantastic! Good for you getting a night out with the hubby.
ReplyDelete